North, Nash & Abendroth LLP has a wealth of experience in trademark, copyright, trade secret, unfair competition and internet law. Businesses count on us to help protect and enforce key assets that distinguish them from their competition: trademarks, trade names, copyrights and domain names.
Our services include conducting searches to determine availability of trademarks, service marks and trade names, and both prosecuting and defending trademark, copyright and trade secret claims. With respect to internet matters, our services include preparing website legal notices required under state and federal privacy laws, pursuing actions against cyber squatters under Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) and pursuing and defending take-down actions under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. With respect to trade secrets, our services include preparing agreements and policies governing employee conduct, negotiating information-sharing agreements with strategic partners, helping to protect confidential information when employees leave and helping to avoid liability when clients hire employees from competitors.
We have litigated a broad spectrum of intellectual property matters before State and Federal Courts and in administrative proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board (TTAB). Such matters have included the following:
- Successful defense of a national tire manufacturer in Federal Court and before the TTAB for trademark infringement and trademark dilution arising out of adoption of name for new radial tire, including defeating a motion for preliminary injunction brought on eve of advertising launch
- Successful defense of radio broadcasting chain in trademark infringement and Lanham Act section 43(a) claims in Federal Court over radio station slogan and call letters
- Successful defense of a national snack food manufacturer in State Court on claims for trademark infringement, unfair competition and license disputes concerning brand of popular snack food product
- Successful prosecution of trademark, trade dress and dilution claims in Federal Court on behalf of national rapid-service food chain against knock-off competitor chain
- Successful defense at Trial Court and Appellate Court of major book publisher and author in high-profile action by former aide to the late Howard Hughes arising out of Hughes' acclaimed hand-written notes and the publication of them in the bestseller Citizen Hughes, alleging misappropriation of name or likeness, copyright infringement, invasion of privacy (private facts and false light), and tortious interference
- Successful prosecution of copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secret claims in Federal Court, including obtaining preliminary injunction, on behalf of major international software development firm arising from former employees' misappropriation of source code
- Successful prosecution of copyright actions on behalf of television network in Federal Courts against book publishers and video game developers/distributors arising out of misappropriation of television program concepts, characters and story lines in books and video games